Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Was this in the Job Description?

When I entered into the world of motherhood
almost 16 years ago...
I really had NO idea the adventures that would be ahead of me!!
I don't think that there is any special training available to help with a problem like this!!
Yet...being blessed with 3 girls...
I have encountered this problem 3 times!
(It only takes them once to figure out that you
can't pretend a comb is a curling iron!)


I thought for sure Abbie would be sporting "Baby Bangs"
for the first day of school,
but luckily, after a lot of patience,
we had a happy outcome...with minimal cutting!


Who would've guessed I could get her out of such a mess!!
That's one of the miracles of motherhood!


Summer vacation is almost over...my 5 kids will soon ALL be in "All-Day" school!
I have enjoyed having them home during the summer days...our house has taken a beating, I don't know that anyone has had a decent nights sleep, and I am sure that any sort of a structured schedule has not been in existence here! But, we have made lots of great memories and had our fair share of good times!

There are definitely things about parenting that nobody can prepare you for...
hair disasters, mood swings, days of constant refereeing, HUNDREDS of trips back and forth to every imaginable activity and practice, hours of laundry, etc. etc...
BUT, one of them is the joy you feel when you see their smiling happy faces!


9 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Shelley, I can relate on so many levels (especially the lack of a decent nights sleep during summer time and the comb incident.... but only twice in this house with two girls). This really is one of the best times of our life. I truly feel that. I LOVE having kids home and enjoying their every little adventure.

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

Shelley, you are such a great mom! Thanks for your example, and for sharing your cute kids.
We love you guys like crazy.
oh...
Molly LOVES your music especially "Say Hey" She got really happy and started dancing while I looked at your blog.
We NEED some Jacklin time soon!

Unknown said...

Way to go on getting that comb out!! And Amen to not knowing what Motherhood is about when we start out - otherwise maybe we wouldn't start? haha!!

Becky said...

Ooooh the chaos of summer! Glad we could spend some of it with some of the Jacklins!! Having a schedule back is truly a dream...I am love love loving it!

cathi6 said...

AAAAAAH, the joys. She looks beautiful, even after the lovely hair incident! You're right, we don't have A CLUE what we're getting ourselves into, but maybe it's better that way! Just roll with the punches, that's the only way to do it! And I'm with you, I LOVE having them home, and I LOVE having a schedule now!!!!!!!!!!

Emily said...

I love how you rise to each occasion that your children present to you. They really got one of the best!!!

Anonymous said...

Ask Kass about our curling iron, hair tangling experience... She still hasn't forgiven me :(

quippish endeavor said...

Shelley, your parenting stories are my favorite... you & Jug are such great parents. I had a friend get a round brush stuck in her looooooooooong blond hair right before a dance in high school. It was a mom who saved the day then, too. :) You have so many reasons to be proud of your great kids. I hope their school year (& yours...) goes wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

That picture of Abby puts a pit in my stomach at the same time laughing out loud!! Oh what fun! I love all the posts and keeping up with all the busyness of life! You're doing awesome!